The proposal is said to help lessen the number of students who leave high school without a basic grasp of literacy and numeracy. It will set benchmarks that students must reach for high school graduation.
“We at the ministry are not satisfied with the outcome of students, particularly when it comes to mathematics now, there is a lot of room for improvement.” Said Fitzgerald.
Fitzgerald also commented saying “Fifty percent of our students are doing well, even as much as 70 percent depending on how you look at it, but we really need to find strategies to deal with the other 30 percent.”
With so much work to do as far as education in this country, hopefully this proposal will be the final push into a better education for children.